Tuesday, September 2, 2014

OLW: Well-Knit

Just a tiny slice tonight because it is about the act of writing sometimes when you aren't inspired to write.  Well-knit is my OLW intention for this month.  September is the time of year when you are trying to pull your work team, professional learning community, or your students closely together. It is also valuable time to rejoin yourself after navigating the chaos of school opening. Well-knit can also be synonymous with strong or sturdy, the key to any foundation as you build community in your classroom.  

Two strategies that keep me well-knit throughout the year in my job as literacy coach are my calendar, paper only, and routinely meeting with my team members.  I decided, however, that I needed to do something else to this school year to stay well-knit, keep a little of summer in my school year. I am building day-trip excursions that I normally do in the summer as part of my weekend life.  I decided that I don't want to cram my fun just in the summer months.   I envision that these excursions will give me a necessary distance from the work I tend to engage in when I just stay home on the weekends.  It is a distance that I used to have playing ultimate and traveling to tournaments on weekends. 

5 comments:

  1. I think extending summer through weekend excursions sounds like a wonderful plan. Good for you to keep "you" in the plans for fun and not all for work. Enjoy and please take us with you as you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great plan,,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you returned to your olw AND that you wrote when you weren't inspired to do so. You're a great role model for your students, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so smart. We all need a brain break and getting away seems to do the trick. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds lovely - a great way to keep connections and community going.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Your words matter!